Frosted Peppermint Cacao Brownies
We’ve nearly reached the pinnacle of holiday spirit. For us, it peaks when the LIMITED HOLIDAY PEPPERMINT CACAO releases, present wrapping begins, and holiday peppermint brownies are freshly out the oven.
These paleo, low glycemic, naturally sweetened brownies are going to be at the top of each of your foodies wish list. Made with our limited edition Hot Peppermint Cacao drink mix and holiday joy, these treats are fudgy, pepperminty, vegan AND gluten-free! The health nuts at your holiday party will RAVE over these chocolatey bites!
You may have picked up on our last few recipes, that the CURED kitchen is putting a spin on our favorite traditional meals, and pursuing an innovative approach further than our supplement cabinet. We take our health conscious choices all the way to our plate, and if you have yet to join us, it’s time to discover what nature and her fruition can do for your own vitality!
Before you scurry off to whip up these chocolatey, melt in your mouth festive brownies, there might be a ingredient you are not familiar with:
CACAO (and that is different than your cocoa you have in your pantry):
Raw cacao is different from the common “Cocoa” most of us grew up eating. Cacao (pronounced “cu-COW”) refers to the Theobroma Cacao tree from which Cocoa is derived, and is used when referring to unprocessed versions of the cacao bean.
Normal cocoa powder and chocolate have been chemically processed and roasted, which destroys a large amount of the antioxidants and flavanols (the things that keep you young and healthy).
Putting the chocolatey to these fudgy brownies, and the main spot ingredient to our LIMITED EDITION PEPPERMINT HOT CACAO is a guilt-free chocolate alternative, that comes with a list added health benefits..
5 BENEFITS OF RAW ORGANIC CACAO
- 40 Times the Antioxidants of Blueberries
Raw Organic Cacao has over 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries. Yes 40 times! It has an amazing ORAC score of 98,000 per 100g, vs blueberries at a mere 2,400. ORAC scores measure the ability of antioxidants to absorb free radicals (that come from pollution and toxins in our environment), which cause cell and tissue damage and can lead to diseases such as cancer.
- Highest Plant-Based Source of Iron
Cacao is the highest plant-based source of iron known to man, at a whopping 7.3mg per 100g. This compares to beef and lamb at 2.5mg, and spinach at 3.6mg. Note the iron in cacao is non-heme (as is all plant-based iron), so to get the maximum benefits you’ll want to combine it with some vitamin C. Think oranges, kiwifruit, superfoods like gubinge or camu camu (which have 40x more vitamin C than oranges)
- Full of Magnesium for a Healthy Heart & Brain
Raw Organic Cacao is also one of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium, the most deficient mineral in the Western world. Magnesium is important for a healthy heart, and helps turn glucose into energy enabling your brain to work with laser-sharp clarity and focus. The reason why you might turn to a bar of chocolate during an all-nighter at your desk!
- More Calcium Than Cow’s Milk
Raw Organic Cacao has more calcium than cow’s milk would you believe, at 160mg per 100g vs only 125mg per 100ml of milk. Time to switch out the trim latte for a couple of squares of dairy free raw chocolate.
- A Natural Mood Elevator and Anti-Depressant
Cacao is a great source of four scientifically proven bliss chemicals – serotonin, tryptophan, tyrosine and phenylethylamine. These neurotransmitters are associated with cosy feelings of wellbeing, happiness, and can even alleviate depression. A natural, healthy, delicious (and legal) way to get your happy buzz on!
- 2 pasture-raised eggs (can sub chia or flax eggs for vegan option)
- 2/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2/3 cup cacao powder
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar (can sub maple syrup or honey)
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Coconut oil spray
- 8 oz dairy free dark chocolate
- 1 serving of Hot Peppermint Cacao
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla Extract
- Vegan peppermint candies or candy canes crushed, for topping
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, tapioca starch, cacao powder, baking powder, pinch of salt, and coconut sugar.
- In separate bowl combine eggs, melted coconut oil, coconut nectar, almond butter, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract. Process until smooth.
- Spray an 8×8” baking pan with coconut oil. Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and press into pan until smooth. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out close to clean. Do not over bake!
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make frosting: combine dark chocolate, coconut oil, coconut nectar, and coconut cream in a medium microwavable bowl. Microwave 60 seconds then stir. Continue microwaving in 15-30-second increments, stirring very well in between, or until chocolate is just melted. Stir in peppermint and vanilla extracts, then smooth over brownies. Let cool slightly then top with crushed peppermint candies. Let cool in fridge completely before cutting.